Available in retail stores and online only
Oak Barrels (French)
Medium bodied white wine with aromas of lemongrass and cigar spice. Pleasantly creamy, with hints of butter, with a silky mouthfeel. Flavors of hazelnut and vanilla carry out the complex finish.
95 Points, Double Gold at the 2019 San Francisco International Wine Competition | Triple Gold at the 2019 Dan Berger’s International Wine Competition | Gold at the 2019 New Orleans International Wine Competition | Gold at the 2019 Harvest Challenge
Two different vineyards make up this vintage. Both vineyards are certified sustainable under Lodi Rules. Both are also grown on a vertical trellis system and orientated from east to west and leaves are pulled on the north sides of the vine in the fruit zone. Cluster thinning was utilized to bring the vines into balance. The Elk Vineyard, located in the Borden Ranch AVA, makes up around 78% of wine. The soil in this spot is a bit more red clay and sand. The rest (22%) comes from our estate grown fruit. Our estate grown fruit is sandy loam soil in the Mokelumne River AVA.
Grapes were hand-picked in the morning and gently whole cluster pressed to a temperature controlled stainless steel tank. The juice was racked and fermented in two separate lots, each lot represent their respective vineyard. Both stainless steel and oak barrels were used in fermentation. Fermentation began in tank and was transferred to barrel to finish fermentation. Each lot was kept cool for a long fermentation. All of the wine were aged in French Oak barrels, approximately 28% of the barrels were new. All the wine went through malolactic fermentation. The two lots were combined prior to bottling to create a beautiful complex wine.